Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Twenty Nine!

Today is my birthday!  My 29th birthday.  I'm not really sure how I feel about this birthday—my last in my 20's.  I know that I have a lot of anticipation and expectations for this year, which is a nerve racking feeling.  But I guess at some point in life you have to accept that your expectations and planning aren't what matters, so you take one day at a time.
This is the invite I designed for it.

This year I decided to throw myself a party. Just as a confession, (cause I like to keep it real here) I have issues with my birthday.  My issues of course stem from my own selfishness and while your birthday is usually an excuse to be selfish, this self focused-ness most always ends in frustration and disappointment. So rather than hinting or hoping for something fun to happen for my birthday I took matters into my own hands and planned a rather extravagant Roaring 20's party!

When I planned this party I didn't realize that 1920's theme was going to be such a popular theme this Halloween season but having a birthday so close to Halloween it really worked out for the best this year. Most everyone dressed up!
As I planned and planned I decided to do more and more.  First idea was that I wanted the house to "look" like a speakeasy.  I did a little research and I found out a few key points to creating a speakeasy.



  • Low lights - jazz music
  • Rules (all Speakeasy were very secretive and had lots of rules to keep it that way)
  • Secret Entrance
  • Password

front door decorated with brown paper and charcoal to look like a wooden speakeasy door
speakeasy password peep hole

Entrance where rules were posted.
The front door which you see on the right of the picture had butcher paper covering it and a speakeasy opening so people could whisper the password to enter.  The burgundy drapery you see in the background is being a divider to keep people from seeing/entering into the living room.  This forced everyone to go down the hallway which I decorated like an alley way before they could enter into the main party area.
The hall.



Along with decking the place out I had a couple really special antique pieces I was able to borrow for the evening.

A picture viewer of scenes from around the world. It was my Grandfathers.
A Thomas Edison phonograph - THAT REALLY WORKED!


Besides decorating the house I really wanted to make myself a birthday cake. This is my third year to make myself a cake and I quite like the tradition I have started.
The cake I made.
The Pinterest cake inspiration.

Okay so my cake wasn't perfect but it taste great and I still thought it was cute.  I really gotta figure out how to not have ripply sides between the layers.

My favorite feature of the party was the photo booth, I think others would agree.  Photo booths in my opinion are great way to capture the party.  Here are a few of my favorite photos!



Even my parents came to the party and dressed up!!!

Oh my hubby is hilarious.
And of course me...being dramatic.
That was the party.  It was a blast and my birthday has been good and a reminder of how blessed I am.










1 comment:

  1. Oh! That looks like so much fun! Glad you had an awesome birthday party! :) Love the outfits.

    ReplyDelete